From Wednesday, 23 December 2020, hauliers registered to use the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) will be able to get a Goods Movement Reference (GMR).
Further information, including direct links to detailed GMR guidance and the start of the application process, will be circulated from 11:00 on 23 December 2020.
From 1 January 2021 you will need to get a GMR to move goods from:
- The EU to Great Britain (for transit movements only)
- Great Britain to Northern Ireland
You may also need a GMR to move goods from Northern Ireland to Great Britain (for example for transit movements)
Carriers will require hauliers to give them the reference generated by a GMR when they arrive to use the crossings on these routes. This applies even for empty vehicles making a crossing.
Each GMR contains details for a single crossing and can be used only once.
It has been possible to register for the GVMS since 8 December 2020. If you haven’t already registered, click here to be taken to the GVMS registration page.
Detailed guidance to support your GVMS registration has also been published. Click here to access this GVMS guidance.
From 1 January 2021, the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) will be introduced.
The Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS) will:
- Link declaration references together. This means the person moving goods only needs to present one reference at the frontier to prove that their goods have pre-lodged declarations.
- Link the movement of goods to declarations, meaning they can be automatically arrived and departed in HMRC systems in near-real-time.
- Notify customers whether their inbound goods have been successfully cleared in HMRC systems by the time they arrive in the UK.
At border locations using the GVMS to control goods, pre-lodged declaration references will need to be linked together within a single Goods Movement Reference (GMR).
Since 8 December 2020, hauliers have been able to register to use the GVMS:
- Before you can access the service, you will need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you don’t already have one, you can register for a Government Gateway account at any time
- You will also need an Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number starting with GB. You may already have a GB EORI number. If you don’t, you can apply for one now.